Head of Development, North America
This is a great opportunity to build on the considerable successes gained so far and to lead and develop an ambitious strategy for Imperial’s North America advancement efforts. The post holder will work cross-faculty, acting as the North America expert for the College, regularly travelling with the President and other senior leadership and academics.
There is an opportunity to grow an already significant alumni network in the region to help reach its full potential and to develop effective relationships with non-alumni UHNWI connections.
To access the phenomenal opportunities that exist through successful engagement with Imperial College London alumni in North America, we are seeking to connect with exceptional candidates who will manage a portfolio of major gifts prospects with the ultimate goal of increasing giving in support of the College’s strategic priorities and who can demonstrate a track record of securing 6 and 7 figure donations.
Travel: Regular travel across North America (Approximately four trips per year)
Imperial College London is consistently rated as one of the world’s best universities. It focuses on the four main disciplines of science, engineering, medicine, and business and is renowned for its application of these skills to industry and enterprise.
It is the home to 17,000 students, attracting undergraduates from more than 125 countries and awards over 6.700 degrees every year. It is an international University where thirty-five percent of its students are from overseas and around a third of their alumni live outside the UK.
In 2015, the College created The Global Development Programme to strengthen the links with this global community of alumni and friends. Its aim is to inspire potential supporters about the opportunities for philanthropic giving at Imperial and it has grown considerably over the last six years resulting in a vibrant, engaged, and informed alumni community of approximately 226,000 around the world of which 8340 are in North America.
Imperial College London Advancement has been active in North America for close to a decade and since 2017 has grown the fundraising portfolio significantly following the dedicated investment of a North America focused fundraiser.
This is an ideal opportunity for a high-performing development professional who has proven experience developing innovative and impactful donor strategies and who has knowledge and leadership experience in professional fundraising in the not-for-profit sector, or as an alternative, raising funds and/or business from clients in the region.
The successful candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, capable of forging collegial and productive working relationships with a broad range of personality types and styles both internally across the College and with external stakeholders. The applicant should possess:
- A deep knowledge and experience of working in some capacity within North America
- Proven leadership ability and strong experience of planning and progressing fundraising and/or sales/business targets, initiatives, and campaigns under own initiative
- Experience of providing a high level of donor and/or client care across an organisation
- Experience working in an international philanthropic environment.
- Proven experience in strategic partnerships and project management
- Confidence to engage with and deliver presentations to senior-level professionals and groups
- Proven experience securing personal appointments and qualifying new prospects
- Demonstrated achievement in securing and stewarding 6 and 7 figure philanthropic donations
- Experience of devising, articulating, and delivering strong cases of support to high-net-worth individuals, corporations, and foundations
- The ability and willingness to travel extensively across the region