Senior Director of Engagement
No Other Relevant Downloads
Thunderbird School of Global Management seeks a seasoned and dynamic development professional who has a global mindset and a proven track record of soliciting, securing and stewarding seven figure major and lead gifts who will work with Thunderbird’s Director General and Dean and the School’s Chief Engagement Officer to execute a comprehensive development strategy.
The Senior Director will serve as part of the leadership for Thunderbird’s Office of Engagement, working closely with the Chief Engagement Officer. While his or her portfolio will focus around major/lead gift prospects, he or she will be involved in the full range of philanthropic funding sources, from high-net-worth individuals and trusts to corporations and foundations.
The ideal candidate will be fully conversant in all aspects of the School’s programs and strategic objectives and will represent the School at a high level with donors, alumni, and other key stakeholders, as well as with university and foundation leadership.
As this is a globally focused role and will involve significant international travel, we would welcome applications from candidates who have gained experience of working in countries and cultures other than their home country and who preferably can conduct business in more than one language.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Experience of managing a portfolio of high-net-worth individuals in order to cultivate, solicit, secure and steward major and lead gifts with a minimum value of seven figures
- Experience of working with senior leadership and key individuals in a university setting
- Experience of contributing to the production of written proposals, concept notes, gift agreements, program budgets and other materials needed to secure support for strategic priority programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Experience in leading teams and acting as a senior counsel with colleagues
- Ability to represent the institution as a senior ambassador for Thunderbird, its mission and vision, and as a global citizen who has lived a ‘Thunderbird’ experience, professionally and personally.
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively
- Experience, ability, and desire to work in a global environment
- Fluency or familiarity with languages other than English
- Able to travel as required to meet with donors and participate in fundraising events
- Flexible, collaborative style, with experience of working in a results-oriented, dynamic environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team to ensure that fundraising priorities and opportunities are integrated within the Institution’s overall activities
- Highly organized and attentive to detail with ability to meet deadlines
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, Advanced degree preferred, AND at least ten years of fundraising experience including three years’ supervisory experience; OR, any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. International experience is required.
Thunderbird School of Global Management is the vanguard of global leadership, management, and business education for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. We are much more than a school. Thunderbird is a global network of future-ready leaders, managers, entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs across the private and public sectors who advance inclusive and sustainable prosperity worldwide.
Developing a new generation of global leaders for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) requires innovation in how we think about and execute on higher education. Thunderbird’s rigorous curriculum provides the transdisciplinary, hands-on, cross-cultural education and experience that empowers leaders to transform the management practices of global organizations. The opportunities and challenges of this new era of disruption and rapid change are too complex to be addressed by one specialized discipline. That’s why Thunderbird leverages the full potential of Arizona State University’s vast Knowledge Enterprise, providing students with the learning, the resources, and the networks to actuate positive and systemic change as leaders in business, government, the nonprofit sector, or in any other profession they choose.
Thunderbird has always attracted a unique kind of student. Our global network of more than 45,000 alumni represents a broad spectrum of leaders with backgrounds and specializations that vary as widely as the dreams that guided them to where they are in life. What unites these T-birds are the qualities that brought them to Thunderbird, a desire to make a difference in the world, a drive to create prosperity and solve problems, their social curiosity, and their ability to excel in challenging work environments across cultures, anywhere on the planet.
For more information on the history and future of Thunderbird, go to: www.thunderbird.asu.edu